Monday, November 9, 2009

Erin's Turkey Meatloaf

My sister, Erin, gave us this recipe a few years ago and we LOVE it! I thought I'd share with you all, especially since many of you have little ones. This recipe is a great (and delicious!) way to sneak in the veggies! When I make this, I alter it a bit from my sister's recipe, but I'll include her version, too. I also try to use all organic ingredients when I make this.

1.5 pounds ground turkey breast
1 10oz package frozen choppen spinach, thawed and squeezed (can use fresh spinach, too!)
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 egg whites (I use 1 whole egg)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ozs grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
(I also add in 1 garlic clove, minced)

Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl, combine turkey, spinach, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, egg, salt and pepper (and garlic). Mix well with a wooden spoon, or your clean hands.

Press half the mixture into an 8 in loaf pan. Top bottom half with grated mozzarella cheese. Press remaining mixture over top and flatten to make an even layer. Whisk together ketchup and mustard and spread mixture over prepared meatloaf.

Bake for an hour, until top is golden and loaf has pulled slightly away from sides of pan. Let stand for 10 minutes, then slice into 6 equal pieces and serve.

1 slice is about 208 calories, 5g fat, 13g carbs, 28g protein, 2g fiber

Goes great with fresh green beans! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment